Here is a puzzle you can use, guaranteed to dazzle your friends -– just in time for the Holidays!
Ask someone to think of their birthday and tell them that by using math you will guess it correctly! Here’s how it works:
1) Have them think of the month number for their birthday, where January equals 1, February, 2, and so on.
2) Have them multiply the number by 5.
3) Then add 6.
4) Then multiply that total by four.
5) Then add 9.
6) Then multiply this total by 5.
7) Finally, have them add to that total the day they were born on. (If they were born on the 16th for example, they would add 16.)
Ask the person to give you the total. In your head (you have to be good at math too!), subtract 165 and you will have the month and day they were born on. (418, for example, would be April 18.) Works every time!
(I picked this up some time ago from another blog, although I can't remember where. If the originator leaves a comment, I would be happy to give appropriate credit!)
tMichaelB is the web site for Tom Bengtson, who writes about business, religion, family and politics.
- ► 2008 (27)
- ► 2007 (41)
- ▼ November (6)
- ► 2005 (46)