tMichaelB is the web site for Tom Bengtson, who writes about business, religion, family and politics.

Monday, July 09, 2007

Invitation

A lot of Catholics and non-Catholics alike have trouble understanding the Church’s teaching on marriage that prohibits the use of contraceptives. Patty Schneier was one of those people for 13 years. She and her husband, Larry, were doing just fine, thank you, and really didn’t need the Church to comment on the most intimate aspect of their marriage.

“I felt that the Church should just butt out,” Schneier said told an audience (that included me) last summer. “This is between me and my husband and God. And there’s no way some celibate old guy in Rome is going to tell me what I can and can’t do in my marriage.”

Schneier’s presentation was about how her attitude evolved on the question of contraception to the point where she now completely embraces the Church’s teaching. The resident of St. Louis will be in town on July 17 speaking at 8 p.m. in the John Roach Auditorium at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minnesota. If you struggle with the Catholic Church’s teaching on marriage and natural family planning, I encourage you to attend this free program. Schneier is an engaging story teller who uses her beautiful singing voice to communicate a touching conversion story.

No comments: